[vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Robert G. Scofield rscofield at afes.com
Thu Dec 23 16:20:38 PST 2004

Jonathan Stickel wrote:

> Don't panic because of a kernel panic!
>
> Your system should be recoverable.  From what I can tell, the module
> for reiserfs in your new kernel is bad.  The simple solution is to use
> your previously working kernel.  Most linuxes keep old kernels around
> by default until you manually uninstall them.  Do you have options for
> different kernels when you boot?  If not, we'll need to look deeper.

No I don't have options for different kernels when I boot.  But I'm
thinking about reinstalling.  Here's why.  This system is only about two
weeks old.  There's not that much to lose.  /home is on a separate
partition.  So everthing in my home directory should be there.  That
includes the recent LUGOD emails I've gotten on how to configure my
fstab.  Plus I've even got a copy of the old fstab in my home directory.

So I'm thinking that a reinstall will be a fairly quick and easy
solution.  I should be up and running in an hour.  But we'll see.  If
the reinstall goes well, then this might be an example of the importance
of having a separate /home partition.

Thank you for responding.

Bob