[vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Robert G. Scofield rscofield at afes.com
Thu Dec 23 13:26:55 PST 2004

I'm in big trouble.  I just updated my kernel with the SuSE update.  I
now a get this error message when I boot:

reiserfs:  no version for 'struct-module' found: kernel tainted

reiserfs:  verson magic: '2.6.8-24.10-um gcc-3.3' should be
'2.6.8-24.10-default 586 REPARMgcc-3.3'

insmod: error inserting
'lib/modules/2.6.8-24.10-um/kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.ko:' :-1 Invalid
module format

waiting for device /dev/hhdb2 to appear:  ok

rootfs:  major=3 minor=66 devn=834

kernel panic= not syncing VFS: unable to mount roof fs on unknown block
(3,66)"

I copied this from handwritten notes so it might not be exact.

Is there a simple way to fix this, or do I reinstall the whole system?

With my CD I can get to rescue mode with a prompt for root to issue
commands, but I never know what to do.

If it's not worth messing with, let me know.

Thank you.

Bob