[vox-tech] portable mp3 player in linux

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Dec 3 07:01:32 PST 2004

On Fri 03 Dec 04, 12:40 AM, David Hummel <dhml at comcast.net> said:
>   [ apologies for breaking the thread, too quick with delete ]
>
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:48:54 -0800, Brian Richter wrote:
> >
> > If I had the money, I would get a Neuros. www.neurosaudio.com
>
> I agree that if you want to hack your player, the neuros is (possibly
> the only) way to go, and could be fun if you had the time.  I don't, and
> I ultimately decided against it based on the following:
>
>                         Neuros HD 40GB     iRiver H140 40GB
> 		        --------------     ----------------
>  Mass (g):              266                172
>  Dimensions (mm):       134x78x33          105x60x22
>  I/O:                   line               SPDIF+line
>  Record to MP3 (kbps):  64-160             40-320
>  Charge Time (hrs):     8                  3
>  Remote:                --                 Backlit LCD
>  Playback Time (hrs):   10                 16
>  Battery Type:          Li-ion             Li-polymer
>  EQ:                    ??                 6 modes
>
> These are just the things that were obvious, and the rest of the specs
> are similar between the players.  Apparently lithium polymer batteries
> last as much as 3x longer than lithium ion, which is good because like
> the neuros, the battery in the iRiver is not user replaceable.  I'm
> guessing the iRiver battery is much more expensive to replace as a
> result.
>
> Of course the neuros has the FM broadcasting, which I'm not sure is
> practical, but it's cool.  And it has a large skip protection buffer
> which is nice.  The neuros is also quite a bit cheaper ($300 vs. $400),
> but there are lower capacity versions of both.

I love this thread!

Have you looked at the iRiver iFP 799T?  It appears to be a flash player with
1GB of storage.  I didn't think there were any flash players with that much
storage around.  I've seen it at a remarkable $180 on amazon.   1G for under
$200 sounds too good to be true.

There also appears to be an iRiver H340, which slightly cheaper than the
H140.  It has a color screen (say hello to more recharging), can display jpg
and bmp images.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to support wav.

Lastly, there were some complaints about the H140 (although I suspect these
are all ipod lovers who are pretty low or non-tech people to begin with).
This is from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001BRITE/002-3454873-5363261?v=glance

   * playlists can't be created on the fly (dunno what that exactly means...)
   * it takes 4 minutes to boot in DB mode (whatever that means...)
   * sound quality is said to be "OK".
   * maximum volume is not loud enough

What exactly is SPDIF?

And is there any way possible to get one of these things to play in a car
stereo?  I've been meaning on getting a new sound system in my car anyhow.
If I can get something that can interface with an mp3 player, that would be
really awesome.

You've pretty much sold me on one of these things, but I wanted to ask a few
more questions before jumping in.  :)

Pete