[vox-tech] Installing from .gz archive?

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Wed Dec 1 16:52:21 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 04:41:37PM -0800, Richard Crawford wrote:
> I'm attempting to install LuMiX (http://www.lumixtech.com) from the CD
> that they sent me.  The instructions that came with the CD say to gunzip
> and untar the files onto a bootable partition on the destination
> computer's hard drive.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm at a loss here.  I've installed Linux plenty of
> times, but it's always been from a boot CD: Red Hat, Fedora, Debian.
> SuSE, etc.  Not once have I installed from a .gz archive.
>
> Assuming that the target computer currently has Windows 95 on it, how do
> I go about installing this distro on this computer?  I know how to
> gunzip and untar, of course, but I don't know how to get to the point
> where I can start doing that.

Let's have a look at what's inside the .gz archive. If you hve another
Linux computer, mount the CD there, and run
$ tar tzf thearchive.tar.gz

You'll probably go about installing this system by downloading an
image of tom's root boot floppy, and a copy of rawrite2, using
rawrite2 to write the image to a floppy. Then you'll boot from that
floppy, use that to set up all of your partitions, mount your boot
partition then run tar from that floppy to untar the archive.

If Tom's Root Boot doesn't have all of the tools you need to do that,
then find something more full-featured like the LinuxCare Bootable
Business Card.

This, I think, is how they used to install Linux in the old days.

--Ken Bloom