[vox-tech] portable mp3 player in linux

Bryan Richter btrichter at ucdavis.edu
Wed Dec 1 16:48:54 PST 2004

Jennifer Stickel wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am considering getting a portable mp3 player.  I was wondering if
> anyone had suggestions on ones that work nicely in Linux.  Also what is
> the opinion on the flash memory based devices versus the hard drive
> based ones?  Thanks,

If I had the money, I would get a Neuros.
www.neurosaudio.com

Pros:
1. Open source firmware
2. Open standard for database file (so there are multiple open source sync
   programs)
3. USB 2.0 generic mass storage device
4. FM radio
5. Battery replacement: $10
6. Ogg support
7. Multitude of options to choose from when buying

Cons:
1. Bulky
2. "what the hell is that?" inquiries
3. No free nor open source compiler for the chipset (yet). The project isn't
   very active, either..

Miscellaneous:
1. Modular design, which could be cool (hard drive and battery is on a backpack
   that can be swapped out. There are also tinier backpacks that have flash
   storage, and they sell a hard drive pack + flash pack combo). It could also be
   annoying. I'd want personal experience to see.

To me, it's the hacker's iPod. The company is very supportive and talks a big
game about being responsive to the community, and they have followed up with
Linux sync program, Ogg support and opening the firmware. The only problem I see
is the community input is low. Of course, it will always be a small community,
and $1000 for the compiler from TI is a big hurdle.

-Bryan

--
Bryan Richter
UCDTT President