[vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Ashleigh Smythe absmythe at ucdavis.edu
Wed Aug 25 08:40:37 PDT 2004

>Ok, it's what i thought, it can't find the usb mouse because it's not
>plugged in.
>
>You are going to want to comment out the "Generic Mouse" line like so.
>
>Section "ServerLayout"
>        Identifier      "Default Layout"
>        Screen          "Default Screen"
>        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
>        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
>#       InputDevice     "Generic Mouse"
>EndSection
>
>--kevin

Kevin - oops, I think the first time I tried your above suggestion I
accidentally commented out "Configured Mouse" - hence the immediate
error and no attempt to start X.  But now I am sure I've commented it
out as you have above, and I am back to the original error  - screen
goes black, then there is kind of a flash and I'm back out to the
prompt with the same error: Fatal server error:  Caught signal 11.
Server aborting.  And the the same XIO: fatal IO error 104...

Not to be a major wimp and give up, but should I just install sarge
from scratch, rather than trying to upgrade woody?  Or maybe this
problem would still occur.  I really hadn't done much to my woody
setup so I don't see what I'd lose.

Ashleigh