[vox-tech] a few pre-install questions

Josh Parsons jbparsons at ucdavis.edu
Tue Aug 24 17:54:19 PDT 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, dylan wrote:

> my initial plan for the drive would look something like this
> partition #   usage
> 1             /boot  (ext2 format?)
> 2             /swap
> 3             windows_system (ntfs format)
> 4             my_windows_data (fat32 format ?) [needs to be rw in both OS's]
> 5             my_linux_data (ReiserFS format ?)
> 6             linux_system_stuff (ReiserFS format ?)

You might consider putting the swap partition in between the two linux
partitions.  I tend to set up my partitions like this:

1 /
2 swap
3 /usr

The theory is that this will minimize the distance the drive heads have
to seek to get to the swap.

---
Josh Parsons
Philosophy Department
1238 Social Sciences and Humanities Bldg.
University of California
Davis, CA 95616-8673
USA