[vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Aug 24 15:44:33 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 03:35:51PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> I'm sorry to not have anything useful to say about Ashleigh's situation,
> but concur that relevant clues may be findable in the logs.

Quite off-topic from this issue, but my dad's Linux box became
un-log-into-able recently.  KDM loaded, and he was able to use the mouse,
enter his username and password, but then the screen blanked and switched
back to KDM.

The X logs included some "EE" lines about mice, but that was a red herring.

What had actually happend in HIS case was some log files chewed up too
much space on his little 1GB drive.  A friend from NBLUG was able to
clear it out for him, and get it working again.  (He tried as root, while
diagnosing the issue, and root could log in.  Root gets extra inodes and
space, I guess :^) )

Melissa's Debian box had this same issue (which is why I guessed "disk space",
and got my NBLUGian friend on a roll to fix it), long, long ago with GDM
working, but Gnome not starting up.  No room in "/tmp" since "/var/logs" was
on the same partition, and chock-full of complaints about "lpd" or some-such...

Sorry about the rambling. :)