[vox-tech] a few pre-install questions

dylan dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Tue Aug 24 11:01:45 PDT 2004

on 04.8.24 10:38 AM, Rick Moen at rick at linuxmafia.com was reported to have
writen:

> Quoting Ken Bloom (kabloom at ucdavis.edu):
>> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 09:29:16PM -0700, dylan wrote:
>>
>>> 1. the machine currently has a single SATA hard disk that i would
>>> like to use for both winXP (yuck!) and linux.
>>
>> Use a 2.6 kernel for SATA.  Although I think some recent 2.4 kernels
>> work too. The Debian Sarge installer release candidates
>> (www.debian.org/debian-installer/) should work.
>
> [......]
>
> Anyhow, Dylan, what's your SATA chipset -- not the hard drive, but
> rather the support chip at the far end of the cable?  If you don't know,
> then the make and model of your motherboard (assuming you're not using a
> host adapter card) should make it possible to find that information out.

Thanks everyone for the information -- has helped a lot so far --

Rick:

here is the motherboard that the machine will be based on:

http://www.asus.com/products/server/srv-mb/pc-dl/overview.htm

from the product description:

The PC-DL Deluxe offers the most complete RAID solution. A Promise SATA
controller offers RAID 0, 1 and 10 functions with Max. 2 UltraATA 133 ports
and 2 SATA HD ports, enabling users to build a RAID array with any 2, 3 or 4
of the ports. With unique multi-RAID function, RAID 0 and RAID 1 array can
co-exist.

.... not sure how to convert this into the chipset information that you had
requested... any ideas?

also: are there any quirks to this motherboard that i should look out for?

PS: Henry, I wanted to go with the Dual G5 as it is much more energy
efficient, and such... but the deptartment would not purchase it... :(

thanks again!

Dylan