[vox-tech] Linux skills supposedly a hot commodity

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 18 12:42:11 PDT 2004

Quoting MB (sparkynine at yahoo.com):

> Thanks Doug.  We should all be painfully aware of "ad.doubleclick.net"
> links by now.  I actually have that host mapped to 127.0.0.1 so that
> NONE of those type of links work.

I just have the following in my nameserver configuration:

//doubleclick.net must die
zone "doubleclick.net" {
        type master;
        allow-query { any; };
        file "/etc/bind/doubleclick.net.zone";
};

/etc/bind $ less doubleclick.net.zone
$TTL 86400
$ORIGIN doubleclick.NET.
@       IN      SOA     linuxmafia.COM.         rick.deirdre.NET. (
                        2001122400              ; serial
                        10800                   ; refresh 3 hours
                        3600                    ; retry 1 hour
                        3600000                 ; expire 1000 hours
                        86400                   ; minimum 24 hours
                        )
;
                IN      NS      ns1.linuxmafia.com.
*               IN      A       198.144.195.186

Want to make an entire DNS domain disappear all at once (e.g., so you
don't have to worry about http://haha-missed-me.doubleclickn.net URLs)?
Just declare your nameserver authoritative for that domain, and
send references to its hostnames wherever you want.

That technique doesn't address hosts specified by IP address.  For that,
you need blocking or proxying on a different level.