[vox-tech] gimp 2.0 - text tool woes

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Aug 14 10:29:36 PDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 11:39:25AM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> How do I _move_ this piece of text?  I tried:
>
> 1. Selecting a region with "select rectangle"
> 2. Click and drag the selection
> 3. Click on the background to anchor the text.
> 4. The text disappears.

That simply moves the text around within its own layer.  Since the layer
is only as big as the text, you end up cutting it off, or removing it
completely. :^)

I'm not familiar with Gimp 2.0 (*gasp!*, I know! shocking!), but you
probably just want to use the move tool to move the entire layer.

Another trick could be to make the text layer as big as the entire canvas,
and then your steps above should work.  In Gimp 1.2, that was:
"Layers -> Layer to image size".  Probably the same, or similar, in Gimp 2.0

Good luck!