[vox-tech] some PDF problems: screen and print rendering do not match

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Tue Aug 10 18:16:34 PDT 2004

I have a PDF file (a map sent to me by a client, presumably made by some
proprietary GIS software on their end) that displays fine in XPDF but not in
GV.  In particular, a number of pieces of text appear (correctly) as white
letters with black outlines in an XPDF window, but as solid black in GV and
*also* in the postscript generated by XPDF using its printing facility. More
seriously, some text and other shapes in the map legend are completely
absent from GV and XPDF-generated PS (but again display properly in XPDF).
This is pretty annoying! I also tried using the Gimp to rasterize the PDF,
but its output looks identical to what GS displays, presumably because both
programs use the same ghostscript interpreter.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

--
Henry House