[vox-tech] Lilo Bye Ta-ta

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Aug 8 13:49:18 PDT 2004

Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p at dirac.org):

> The last two times I installed Debian, I noticed that it defaults to
> grub, without even giving the option to use lilo.
>
> Just did a new net install, installed lilo, scribbled a lilo.conf, ran
> lilo, and got an error message:
>
>    /proc/partitions does not match /dev structure
>
> I'm assuming that this means that Debian installed a devfs based system
> but didn't mount a devfs /dev directory (which is pretty obvious looking
> at ls /dev | wc).

I think it means only that you're using a devfs-capable kernel without
the devfs filesystem mounted.  Harmless if annoying messages.

Anyhow, devfs is gone for the future.

> Are there any *real* benefits of using grub in lieu of lilo?

If you're an easily scared new user unable to figure out how to recover
from elementary lilo-usage mistakes, yes.  That's probably the major
gain.  Everyone else just goes "Doh!", reaches for the Tom's Root-Boot,
boots it, mounts the root filesytem to /mnt, and does "/sbin/lilo -r /mnt".