[vox-tech] Lilo Bye Ta-ta

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Sun Aug 8 13:39:17 PDT 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 11:44:45 -0700
Rod Roark <rod at sunsetsystems.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 08 August 2004 07:28 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > Are there any *real* benefits of using grub in lieu of lilo?
> >
> > I don't consider not having to run /sbin/lilo to install a new
> > kernel a real benefit.
>
> My general understanding is that grub has "many more features"
> but is much bigger than lilo.  But, how many features does a
> boot loader need?  Either it boots or it does not.  ;-)

grub has several useful features:
 * it uses a miniature filesystem driver (called the stage 1 1/2
bootloader) to find its config file and to find the kernels on the
filesystem. Contrast this to lilo which hardcodes everything by physical
disk location. The result: you can install new kernels, and edit the
config file without needing to change anything on your MBR. In
otherwords without needing to run /sbin/lilo again. (The update-grub
script in the config file listing below is just a debian script that
rewrites the config file based on the old contents of the config file,
and based on the contents of /boot.)
 * it can theoretically (or the
feature is planned) boot a FreeBSD kernel directly. (someone verify if I
am wrong). It surely supports the BSD partition structure.
 * it can hide and show partitions so that you
can use it to multiboot between several microsoft operating systems.

> I'm like you - still using lilo, because I already know how
> to use it and it does everything I want it to do.  Why learn
> a whole new way of doing things if there's no payoff?

If you're using grub then:

[bloom at kabloom ~]$ cat /etc/kernel-img.conf
# Do not create symbolic links in /
postinst_hook = /sbin/update-grub
postrm_hook = /sbin/update-grub
do_bootloader = no