[vox-tech] Lilo Bye Ta-ta

Richard Harke rharke at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 8 12:58:43 PDT 2004

On Sunday 08 August 2004 11:44, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Sunday 08 August 2004 07:28 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > Are there any *real* benefits of using grub in lieu of lilo?
> >
> > I don't consider not having to run /sbin/lilo to install a new kernel a
> > real benefit.
>
> My general understanding is that grub has "many more features"
> but is much bigger than lilo.  But, how many features does a
> boot loader need?  Either it boots or it does not.  ;-)
>
> I'm like you - still using lilo, because I already know how
> to use it and it does everything I want it to do.  Why learn
> a whole new way of doing things if there's no payoff?

I didn't really have to learn much. When I installed Debian, it
installed grub (without question, as noted). When installed 2.6.7
I just added a new stanza to /boot/grub/menu.lst

I know lilo will let you change kernel parms but could you change
the initrd.img? If I understand it right, grub would let you boot
a kernel not listed in menu.lst if you are clever enough to
remember its name (and its initrd.img)

Richard Harke