[vox-tech] Losing keyboard and mouse between boots

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Aug 6 09:43:43 PDT 2004

On Fri 06 Aug 04,  9:22 AM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel at sbcglobal.net> said:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> >>A bit of googling turns up many varied and interesting
> >>reports on this board, but nothing I can see precisely about
> >>your problem.  I get the sense that ABit is debugging the
> >>thing as they sell it.
> >

> >You know, this might actually be a pretty good description of reality.
> >
> >The keyboard is strictly ps/2.  The mouse is the gamer's "Boomslang
> >Razor".  It's USB, but I had got a USB<->ps/2 converter on it, and have
> >been using it on the ps/2 port.
> >
> >I just took the connector off and plugged the mouse into the USB port.
> >
> >I've now rebooted MS Win2k 4 times without losing the mouse and
> >keyboard.
> >
> >Whatever is happening only seems to happen when the mouse and keyboard
> >are both ps/2.  A BIOS bug is certainly within the realm of possibility.
> >

> I seem to recall having trouble with a usb-ps/2 convector on one of my
> mice awhile back.  Basically, it wouldn't work at all using the
> convector, but worked fine as a usb.  I don't remember the details at
> all, so this probably doesn't help much.  But I've since wondered about
> the viability of those usb-ps/2 converters and only use usb mice in usb
> ports.  Have you tried a standard ps/2 mouse, no usb-ps/2 converter?
> Anyone else have trouble with usb-ps/2 converters?
>
> Jonathan

I haven't tried a standard PS/2 mouse.  Unfortunately, I need to
concentrate on just getting Linux installed ATM.  I've *nearly* given up
doing a direct install on the SATA drive.  If something doesn't change
in the next hour, I'm going to install Linux on PATA and then try to
migrate the system onto SATA.

Boy, do I hate giving up on things!  :-(

I have to keep telling myself that when I see the frames per second on
Quake III or RtCW, it'll all be worth it... it'll all be worth it...
i'll all be worth it... these aren't the droids you're looking for...

Pete