[vox-tech] Losing keyboard and mouse between boots

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 6 09:22:15 PDT 2004

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 05 Aug 04, 10:00 PM, Rod Roark <rod at sunsetsystems.com> said:
>
>>On Thursday 05 August 2004 09:32 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>>
>>>They're both hooked up to ps/2.
>>
>>A bit of googling turns up many varied and interesting
>>reports on this board, but nothing I can see precisely about
>>your problem.  I get the sense that ABit is debugging the
>>thing as they sell it.
>

> You know, this might actually be a pretty good description of reality.
>
> The keyboard is strictly ps/2.  The mouse is the gamer's "Boomslang
> Razor".  It's USB, but I had got a USB<->ps/2 converter on it, and have
> been using it on the ps/2 port.
>
> I just took the connector off and plugged the mouse into the USB port.
>
> I've now rebooted MS Win2k 4 times without losing the mouse and
> keyboard.
>
> Whatever is happening only seems to happen when the mouse and keyboard
> are both ps/2.  A BIOS bug is certainly within the realm of possibility.

I seem to recall having trouble with a usb-ps/2 convector on one of my
mice awhile back.  Basically, it wouldn't work at all using the
convector, but worked fine as a usb.  I don't remember the details at
all, so this probably doesn't help much.  But I've since wondered about
the viability of those usb-ps/2 converters and only use usb mice in usb
ports.  Have you tried a standard ps/2 mouse, no usb-ps/2 converter?
Anyone else have trouble with usb-ps/2 converters?

Jonathan