[vox-tech] bash environment variables (and KDE)

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:41:47 -0700 (PDT)

~/.bashrc OR ~/.bash_profile.  One gets run when you open a terminal, the
other when there is no terminal.  I gave up trying to figure it out 'cuz
it's so twisted and inconsistent from distribution to distribution, no
matter what the man page says or how it's supposed to be.

The latest technique seems to be to get ~/.bash_profile to run ~/.bashrc,
and check the PS1 (the prompt) variable to see if we're inside a terminal
or not.  If it is, then display some fortune messages and set some
interesting variables for controlling the terminal behavior and what not.
Otherwise we're probably running inside a script so don't do anything we'd
want done only inside a terminal.

-Mark