[vox-tech] bash environment variables (and KDE)

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:33:28 -0700

There are still a couple things in linux that seem to be unnecessarily
convoluted and really bug me.  One is sound, which I've finally managed
to work around using alsa and dmix.

The other is handling user-specified shell environment variables.  I use
bash, and by trial and error I've found I can put what I want in
.bashrc.  IIRC, I remember reading that this really isn't the place for
custom variables, but this is what has worked for me.  Recently, I've
defined $TEXINPUTS, a path variable for tex/latex.  When I run latex
from shell, it uses the path I've defined by $TEXINPUTS correctly.
However, if I start Emacs from KDE's kmenu, $TEXINPUTS is NOT read, and
thus running latex from within Emacs doesn't work like I expect.  It
turns out that KDE, when started through xdm/kdm, does not read .bashrc
at all
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2002/debian-kde-200209/msg00083.html).
  However, .bashrc does get read when starting a shell from within KDE.

So my question is:  what really is the correct place to put
user-specific bash variables?  And, how do I make KDE read them when
logging in from kdm?

Thanks,
Jonathan