[vox-tech] Heretical WinXP Q re: burning Knoppix CD's

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:26:50 -0700

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:15:27AM -0700, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> Rick Moen wrote:
> >Quoting Richard Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com):
> >

> >>Any recommendations for software?  I'm not all that keen on paying money
> >>for such software if I can avoid it.
> >

> >I recommend burning a Knoppix CDR (or DVD), and then booting it.  It
> >comes with cdrecord, k3b, etc., and reliably auto-recognises hardware
> >better than anything else on x86, bar none.
> >
> >(Generally speaking, if the answer is a piece of Win32 software, you're
> >asking the wrong question.  ;->  )
> >
>=20
> His problem is burning the Knoppix CD in the first place ;)
>=20
> Richard:  If you have CD writer, I'm sure it came with CD burning=20
> software.  I haven't seen a CD writer not come with something, usually=20
> Roxio or Nero.  If it came with a prebuilt computer, then somewhere in=20
> your box of documentation and installation CDs, there should be burning=
=20
> software.  It may be several versions old, but usually you can upgrade=20
> for free.
>=20

Some CD writers come with HP software that doesn't support burning ISO
images. I know for sure we saw one at the last installfest.

--=20
My key was last signed 10/14/2003. If you use GPG *please* see me about=20

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3--