[vox-tech] Heretical WinXP Q re: burning Knoppix CD's

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:15:27 -0700

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Richard Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com):
>

>>Any recommendations for software?  I'm not all that keen on paying money
>>for such software if I can avoid it.
>

> I recommend burning a Knoppix CDR (or DVD), and then booting it.  It
> comes with cdrecord, k3b, etc., and reliably auto-recognises hardware
> better than anything else on x86, bar none.
>
> (Generally speaking, if the answer is a piece of Win32 software, you're
> asking the wrong question.  ;->  )

His problem is burning the Knoppix CD in the first place ;)

Richard:  If you have CD writer, I'm sure it came with CD burning
software.  I haven't seen a CD writer not come with something, usually
Roxio or Nero.  If it came with a prebuilt computer, then somewhere in
your box of documentation and installation CDs, there should be burning
software.  It may be several versions old, but usually you can upgrade
for free.

Jonathan