[vox-tech] Debian help: font problems

Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:00:09 -0700

Dear all,

I have a postscript file, dissertation.ps that, out of the blue, started
to look ugly when viewed with gs (or gv which uses gs).  The font looks
thin and spindly.

Not knowing what to do, I uploaded it to my friend Mark's computer and
used gv to view it there.  The results were much nicer.  The fonts
looked rich and full again.

You can see the results side by side:

   http://www.dirac.org/shot.png
or
   http://www.dirac.org/shot.jpg

Both machines are up-to-date Debian Sarge.

I know zilch about Defoma, and don't have the luxury of time to learn
right at this moment.  However, I have to look at this document for very
extended periods of time, and the spindly font bothers my eyes.

Mark's computer doesn't have an X server set up on it (I used gv
remotely), so it doesn't have an XF86Config fontlist to look at, so I
don't know how the "order of font looking" is set.

It doesn't have xfstt nor xfs.  I'm not too sure how font requests are
serviced when there's no server to begin with.

Any ideas on why the two systems are displaying the same file so
differently?

These fonts *can't* be the same.  Any idea on how to track down which
font is being used and why?

Anyone know how fonts are handled when there's no server?

Any help appreciated!

Pete