[vox-tech] extended ascii characters

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:03:25 -0700 (PDT)

There are two smiley faces in the DOS ASCII character set.  One is
white-on-black, and the other is black-on-white.  I don't remember which
is which, but their ASCII codes are 0, 1, and/or 2.  So that's ALT-0,
ALT-1, or ALT-2.  Try one of those.

Whether that works or not depends on FDISK.  If that doesn't work, you
have two alternatives:

   1. Use Linux to re-partition it. ('cuz Linux doesn't ask you
      for the label before formatting.)

   2. Re-label the partition before running FDISK.  You can label
      the hard drive with one of the following commands:

         A:\>label c:

      or

         A:\>format c: /u

      The latter formats as well as relabels.

Hope that helps.

-Mark (who obviously worked with WAY too much DOS...)

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius