[vox-tech] monitor troubles

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:31:00 -0700

Quoting myself:

> I really _do_ think that used Matrox G200, G400, and G450 cards make
> superb (and cheap!) choices for Linux desktops -- if you can find 'em.
> If not, any of the standard 2D-video ATI cards, or, heck, the Matrox G2+
> (came after the G200/400/450 series), would be fine.

Someone was kind enough to point out, offlist, that the AGP slots on
P4-class motherboards expect to see AGPx4 cards, and cannot run old AGP
cards.  Matrox G2x0/G4x0 cards of the _AGP_ variety are most surely not
AGPx4.

Those Matrox cards were also available in PCI form factor, and in my
experience (on PIII-class machines) were more than fast enough for any
need within reason.  I keep a number of those cards around.

But things I say related to current-machines' video bus standards should
indeed be taken cum granum salis, because I've been hunkered down with
gracefully obsolescent gear for several years, and not following newer
developments very closely.