[vox-tech] Linux solutions (was Re: monitor troubles)

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:53:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Jennifer Stickel (jrstickel@ucdavis.edu):
>
> > Thanks for all your help.  I decided that I am just going to find a
> > cheap video card and forget this integrated one.  It is not worth the
> > hassle that it is taking.
>
> That's the way I'd see it, too.
>
> It's surprising how many new users think that, just because a system
> came with some particular cheap hardware component, that component
> merits open-ended amounts of effort getting Linux support going
> (winmodems, winprinters, USB ADSL devices, etc.), when buying a
> replacement makes the whole problem go away.
>
> Effectively, they're saying that vast amounts of their time and trouble
> are a more rational price than that cash outlay.

Don't forget that it is that sometimes-irrational persistence which makes
Linux effective on such a wide range of hardware... it is users that have
the incentive to search for those solutions.  Of course, sometimes the
user must be a developer to finish the task, but whether they are
programmers or merely documenting their solutions, those researches form
the content that allows Google to tell you and me answers. :)

Sometimes I dig deep to avoid switching hardware... sometimes I don't.

[...]

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing