[vox-tech] learning (la)tex

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:49:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Micah J. Cowan wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:38:54AM -0700, Jonathan McPherson wrote:
> > Dylan,
> >
> > > i am interested in learning about latex, and was wondering if there
> > > were any book reccomendations  out there....
> >
> > I highly recommend "The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX2e, or LaTeX2e
> > in 131 minutes", by Tobias Oetiker.
> >
> > This is a 145-page tome, and one of the best things about it is that you
> > can download it in PDF for free.
> >
> > http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf
>
> There is also, "LaTeX: A Document Preparation System", By Leslie
> Lamport. It provides more information than lshort, IIRC. However,
> AFAIK it is not free, and goes for about $37, which is a tad expensive
> for ~250pp. Must be because it's such an esoteric subject... ;-)

That's a canonical book so might as well get it.  But it's not the best
book for the first-timers, IMHO... (But certainly not unusable.)

There was this book I used to learn LaTeX. It was a really great book for
beginners.  I'd give it to you but I already gave it away...

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius