[vox-tech] Email formatting fun

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:45:37 -0700

Quoting Ken Bloom (kabloom@ucdavis.edu):

> I use gq} I don't know whether you'll find it to be less or more of a
> pain.

Ditto (in vim).  And this entry in ~/.vimrc has proved handy:

map Q gq

Thus, "Q}" reformats the current paragraph (in my case, to
72-column-or-fewer lines -- see below), which vim does pretty
intelligently and reliably.  It's not perfect, but it's close enough
that I've never felt compelled to seek a more-complex solution.

Other .vimrc stuff:

set nocompatible        " Use Vim defaults (much better!)
set bs=2                " allow backspacing over everything in insert mode
set noai                " set autoindenting off
set tw=72               " always limit the width of text to 72
set backup              " keep a backup file
set viminfo='20,\"50    " read/write a .viminfo file, don't store more
                        " than 50 lines of registers