[vox-tech] /etc/devfsd.conf equivalent for udev?

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:18:31 -0700

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

On 2004.04.19 08:51, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> I've just started using udev since devfs is supposedly deprecated in 2.6 =
=20
> kernels.  It all seems to work OK, at least for my setup.
>=20
> I since my handspring PDA through /dev/pilot, which now links to /dev/=20
> tts/USB1.  With devfs I added some lines to /etc/devfsd.conf which =20
> automatically ran my syncing program when I pushed the cradle button:
>=20
> #configure USB, specifically so that jpilot syncs when Visor cradle =20
> button is pushed; JJS 12 Feb 04
> REGISTER        ^usb            PERMISSIONS     0.0     0777
> REGISTER        ^usb/tts        PERMISSIONS     0.0     0777
> REGISTER        ^usb/tts/1      EXECUTE       /bin/su jjstickel -c "/usr/=
=20
> bin/jpilot-sync"
>=20
> I can't seem to find an equivalent file for udev.  There exists /etc/=20
> udev/udev.conf, udev.permissions, and udev.rules, but the contents are =
=20
> very different from devfsd.conf.  Any ideas?

in /etc/udev.conf, there should be a configuration entry telling you which =
=20
is the rules file. if it's a directory, then any file named *.rules in that=
 =20
directory will be read as a rules file (so it would be a good idea in that =
=20
case to create something like /etc/udev/local.rules and add your own rules =
=20
there)

You will probably want something like KERNEL=3D"ttyUSB1", PROGRAM=3D"/bin/s=
u =20
jjstickel -c \"/usr/bin/jpilot-sync\""

but I don't know for sure that the system would wait to run this rule until=
 =20
after it had created the device file. You might consider instead running =
=20
jpilot-sync as a daemon with the -l option to keep it in a loop.

--=20

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp--