[vox-tech] kde upgrade wrecked gnome

Bruce Wolk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:28:18 -0700

I tried to upgrade to kde 3.2 on a redhat 9.0 system.  I followed the
instructions on the kde site and used apt-get and the kde-redhat.org
repository.  KDE seems to be functioning, but now Gnome is inaccessible
and my old software, like mozilla and firebird, won't run.

When I run apt-get check I get:

root@pogo bruce]# apt-get check
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
   kdeaddons: Depends: libgdk-1.2.so.0
              Depends: libgtk-1.2.so.0
              Depends: libxmms.so.1
   kdebase: Depends: redhat-artwork (>= 0.49) but it is not installed
   kdebindings: Depends: libgdk-1.2.so.0
                Depends: libgtk-1.2.so.0
                Depends: libgtkembedmoz.so
   kdelibs: Depends: redhat-artwork (>= 0.53) but it is not installed
   mozilla-devel: Depends: mozilla (= 37:1.4.2-0.9.0) but it is not
installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

When I try -f, I get:

[root@pogo bruce]# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
   PyQt PyQt-devel PyQt-examples alsa-lib arts arts-devel hicolor-icon-theme
   jasper kdeaddons kdebase kdebase-devel kdebindings kdebindings-devel
kdelibs
   kdelibs-devel kdesdk kdesdk-devel kdevelop libmad libxml2 libxml2-devel
   libxml2-python libxslt libxslt-devel libxslt-python mozilla-devel
   mozilla-nspr mozilla-nspr-devel mozilla-nss mozilla-nss-devel
qscintilla qt
   qt-MySQL qt-ODBC qt-PostgreSQL qt-designer qt-devel sip sip-devel themer
   valgrind
The following packages will be upgraded
   PyQt PyQt-devel PyQt-examples arts arts-devel kdeaddons kdebase
kdebase-devel
   kdebindings kdebindings-devel kdelibs kdelibs-devel kdesdk kdesdk-devel
   kdevelop libxml2 libxml2-devel libxml2-python libxslt libxslt-devel
   libxslt-python mozilla-devel mozilla-nspr mozilla-nspr-devel mozilla-nss
   mozilla-nss-devel qt qt-MySQL qt-ODBC qt-PostgreSQL qt-designer
qt-devel sip
   sip-devel
The following packages will be REPLACED:
   qt-Xt (by qt)
   alsa-lib hicolor-icon-theme jasper libmad qscintilla themer valgrind
34 packages upgraded, 7 newly installed, 1 replaced, 0 removed and 138
not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/92.2MB of archives.
After unpacking 32.9MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Executing RPM (-Uvh)...
warning: /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-lib_0.9.8-1.fr_i386.rpm: V3 DSA
signature: NOKEY, key ID e42d547b
warning: /var/cache/apt/archives/themer_0%3a1.50-0.fdr.0_noarch.rpm: V3
DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID ff6382fa
Preparing...                ###########################################
[100%]
         file /usr/share/mimelnk/application/x-kudesigner.desktop from
install of kdelibs-3.2.1-0.fdr.5.rh90 conflicts with file from package
koffice-1.2.1-7
E: Sub-process /bin/rpm returned an error code (76)
[root@pogo bruce]#

When I try to run mozilla or firefox I get:

[bruce@pogo mozilla-1.4]$ ./mozilla
./mozilla-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0:

[bruce@pogo firefox]$ ./firefox
./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries:
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

Obviously these libraries used to be there.  Why would kde remove them?

If I try to run "apt-get install gtk+" to load the gtk libraries, I get
a bunch of dependancy errors as well.  I thought apt was supposed to
eliminate the dependancy hell, but obviously not.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bruce