[vox-tech] [non-linux] windows ME PC automatically restarts

Dave Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 03:43:09 -0700

alright, i'll restate:
put win2k on there and get the machine patched up to the best of your
knowledge/ability.

i never trusted the service packs, autoupdates, etc. in the past, but at
one point it just got too cumbersome to stay up on their safety,
effectiveness, etc.  the only windows machine i use is an xp box at
work, but i have to admit i'm lazy about the auto-update, so i just let
it run nowadays.  same goes for the similar feature built into os x as
well...i just trust apple out of laziness, knowing my data is backed up
decently well.  my linux boxes on the other hand are slackware machines
- no auto-updating there at all, so everything is hand patched to the
best of my ability.  i've muddled with slapt, but i don't really like it
or trust it.

it seems apt users have to put a lot of trust in whoever maintains the
package lists on their apt server(s) of choice.  is this correct?  i
have limited debian use, but i've muddled with apt-rpm on a fedora box
quite a bit and it seems pretty solid.  how often does an apt-get
update/upgrade break things? (and i suppose this depends on one's use of
stable or testing).