[vox-tech] Mouse problem with new laptop

Dave Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:46:30 -0700

Doctorcam wrote:

>* Trevor M. Lango (tmlango@sbcglobal.net) wrote:
>

>>/dev/input/event0 perhaps...?
>>

>Thanks, but no joy with that.  I have seen reviews that state quite
>clearly that for both the M30 and the M35 (very similar),
>"/dev/event/mice" is the correct choice.  Using anything else appears
>to cause the server to crash.
>
>There is an entry when nvidia.o is loaded, noting "silken mouse
>enabled" or some such thing.  I don't think that means much.
>
>I have started gpm, which uses usbmouse, and set the device in
>XF86Config to /dev/gpmdata.  kdm starts fine, but there's no reaction
>from the mouse.  I'm stumped.

this may very well be the issue.  i use gpm, and X, and a usb mouse and
this is how Ii have things set up:

/dev/mouse needs to be a symbolic link to /dev/event/mice
your mouse device in XF86Config should point to /dev/mouse (the link).
gpm should already be looking for /dev/mouse, so that's probably fine.

do a "cat /dev/mouse" and/or a "cat /dev/event/mice" to make sure this
is working.  you should see some garbage characters each time you move
the mouse.  this means it's working.  if you don't see those garbage
characters, make sure you have the correct modules loaded.  the correct
modules are: usb-uhci (or usb-ohci in some cases), usbcore, input, hid,
and mousedev,   most or all of those may load automatically for you if
you use hotplug.  i don't use hotplug so i had to load hid and mousedev
myself.  i'll leave it to you to figure out how to do that at boot time
on your system, but it generally requires editing /etc/modules.conf.
for testing, just run "modprobe hid" and then "modprobe mousedev".  use
"lsmod" to check, and then try another "cat /dev/mouse".  if everything
is working at this point, when you "startx",  you'll get a working mouse...

dave m.