[vox-tech] Questions on Using Wine

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 22:17:17 -0700

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

On 2004.04.08 21:27, Roger & Jeanne Hanson wrote:
> I am running Mandrake 9.2 on a Toshiba 335CDS laptop. I was interested in
>=20
> running a windows program with wine which I understand was included in my
>=20
> Mandrake distribution. Using rpmdrake I installed the package that came =
=20
> on
> an
>=20
> accompanying CD. However, I am at a loss as to what I do next. I did a
> search
>=20
> for "wine" and all I come up with is the following. In going into these
>=20
> directories I fail to see anything that is executable. Being a real
> "Newbie" I
>=20
> don't quite know what I am missing (or what I am doing for that matter).
>=20
> [root@localhost /]# find / -name wine
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/wine
> /etc/wine
> /var/lib/wine
> /var/lock/subsys/wine
> /usr/share/wine
> /usr/bin/wine
> /usr/lib/wine
> [root@localhost /]#
>=20
> What action do I need to take to actually run a windows program under
> wine. I am really lost.

Executable programs generally live in a bin/ directory or an sbin/ =20
directory. In this case, /usr/bin/wine is the executable. The /usr/bin =20
directory is one of the directories in your search path (the $PATH =20
environment variable), so if you just type "wine", /usr/bin is one of the =
=20
directories that Linux will search looking for that program.

Wine is a somewhat difficult program to use - you need to write out a =20
configuarion file that (among other things) maps directories to windows =20
hard drives, and maps your printers to LPT: ports.

After you finish all of this, then you can run "wine c:\\windows\\notepad.=
=20
exe" or "wine /mnt/windows/windows/notepad.exe" and with a lot of luck and =
=20
prayer you'll see the windows notepad appear on your screen.

Wine doesn't work with all programs reliably, so be forewarned. I had my =
=20
installation of maxplus (which I have to run under WINE) break unexpectedly=
 =20
after it had been working well for a month or two. I'm thinking that it =20
broke around the time I installed linux kernel 2.6, but the symptoms don't =
=20
look like they relate to the kernel at all.

--=20

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0--