[vox-tech] comcast broadband DNS

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:16:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, dylan wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for the ideas.
>
> perhaps a little more explanation is in order:

Thanks.

> 1. this is for a computer network in fresno (my parents)
> 2. they have a linksys router that does its job of sending this information
> over to the LAN machines via DHCP.
> 3. i needed to give one of the machines a static IP, so that i could forward
> specific ports to that machine alone, however i could not figure out what
> the name servers were for comcast. this made setting up a static IP
> difficult, but in the end i used a public name server.

Sometimes you are better off setting the host machine to use DHCP, and
then telling the router to always give the machine that reports that
particular MAC address the same IP address every time.  Then you don't
have to manage these side issues at the host machine.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing