cd/dvd udf packet writing (was Re: [vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw)

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:31:44 -0800

Edward Elliott wrote:
> I just wanted to contribute my successful novice experience. Last year I
> struggled with getting the Gentoo 2.4 release to support my DVD and CDRW
> drives. But just recently I reinstalled Gentoo with the new 2.6 kernel.
> I enabled hotplug and installed K3B and it automatically recognized my
> drives and worked with absolutely no extra effort on my part. No
> fooling with fake SCSI defs or anything else. It just worked.
>
> Now, that was a great user experience. This is the kind of thing that
> will make 2.6 + KDE more popular as a desktop solution.

Hear hear!

> The one advantage I have in Windows is that CDRW disc is recognized
> as a valid drive by the file system. That allows me to read and write
> files directly on it, using OpenOffice, or any other app. I have not
> yet been able to get this enabled on Gentoo, even though I have RW
> defined in FSTAB for the CDRW device.

I think what you are talking about is udf packet writing.  This appears
to be possible in linux, but may take some effort.  Take a look here:
http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/packet.html.  You need to patch and
recompile the kernel, install some tools, and do some stuff in /dev.
Since multisession writing meets most of my needs, I'm not overly
motivated to check it out.  Has anyone on this list successfully used
udf packet writing in linux?

Jonathan