[vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw

Edward Elliott vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:04:44 -0800

I just wanted to contribute my successful novice experience. Last year I
struggled with getting the Gentoo 2.4 release to support my DVD and CDRW
drives. But just recently I reinstalled Gentoo with the new 2.6 kernel.
I enabled hotplug and installed K3B and it automatically recognized my
drives and worked with absolutely no extra effort on my part. No
fooling with fake SCSI defs or anything else. It just worked.

Now, that was a great user experience. This is the kind of thing that
will make 2.6 + KDE more popular as a desktop solution.

The one advantage I have in Windows is that CDRW disc is recognized
as a valid drive by the file system. That allows me to read and write
files directly on it, using OpenOffice, or any other app. I have not
yet been able to get this enabled on Gentoo, even though I have RW
defined in FSTAB for the CDRW device.
----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 05:20:22 -0800
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: [vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw

Re: hi all,
Re:
Re: i bought a memorex EIDE cdrw / dvdrw.  the box didn't say ATAPI, neither
Re: did the manual, but looking at dmesg, this drive registered with the
Re: kerel as ATAPI.
Re:
Re: i've never played around with IDE-SCSI CD writers before.  all my
Re: experience is with pure good ol' SCSI.
Re:
Re: looking through the kernel config, i found a driver called ide-cd which
Re: looks like what i want (can someone confirm this?).
Re:
Re: i made the ide-cd module and insmoded it.
Re:
Re: according to the cdrecord man page, i need to specify the SCSI device
Re: name with the transport layer.  the SCSI transport layer is default, so
Re: instead of what i'm used to:
Re:
Re:    cdrecord -audio -v dev=0,5,0 *.wav
Re:
Re: i now need to specify a transport layer:
Re:
Re:    cdrecord -audio -v dev=ATAPI:0,5,0 *.wav
Re:
Re:
Re:
Re: this means i need to get a SCSI device number for my new ATAPI drive.  i
Re: did:
Re:
Re:    cdrecord -scanbus
Re:
Re: and saw all my SCSI devices, but not the ATAPI CDRW / DVDRW.
Re:
Re:
Re: any suggestions?
Re:
Re: for those of you with ATAPI CDRW's or DVDRW's: can you please run
Re: "cdrecord -scanbus" and tell me if you see your device in the output?
Re:
Re: thanks!
Re: pete
Re:
Re: --
Re: Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler.  -- Albert Einstein
Re: GPG Instructions: http://www.dirac.org/linux/gpg
Re: GPG Fingerprint: B9F1 6CF3 47C4 7CD8 D33E 70A9 A3B9 1945 67EA 951D
Re: vox-tech mailing list
Re: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org