cd/dvd burning remotely (was Re: [vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw)

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 01 Apr 2004 15:22:01 -0800

Ken Bloom wrote:

> On 2004.04.01 14:20, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
>> The only way I can figure is to run the burning program(s) via remote
>> shell.  If you want to use a gui, e.g. k3b, it will need to be
>> installed  on the remote computer, but it can then be run locally via
>> X over ssh. Of  course, you need relatively high bandwidth to run X
>> over ssh in  "realtime".
>>
>> Also, it would be best to move the file(s) you want to burn over to
>> the  remote computer first.  You /might/ be able to keep the files
>> local if  you setup NFS or lufs, but you would be restricted to burn
>> speeds as slow  as your network speed!
>

> You wouldn't be restricted in speed because he's not going to store the
> ISO  on the network - he's going to construct the ISO on the computer
> with the  cd burner.

I was thinking of on-the-fly burning because that's what I always do.
But yes, if you want to make an iso first, you can make the iso on the
cd-burner computer but grab the files across a network.