[vox-tech] one of the most pernicious spams i've ever seen.

Mitch Patenaude vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:45:44 -0700

> i didn't know this.  so, an URL is of the form:
>
> URL = user:password@url
>
> where lowercase "url" is what i used to think of as being an url. and
> the "user:password@" portion is optional.

in Pseudo-BNF a URL spec looks something like

[<pathelement>{/<pathelement>}][?<argument>[=value]{&<argment>[=value]}]

and everthing after the server/port is called a URI (Uniform Resource
Indicator? I think)  which iteslf can be broken down into a "PATH" and
a "QUERY_STRING" (a la cgi environment variables.)

I used to work for a company that made web tracking software, so I got
to know the URL spec pretty well.

-- Mitch