[vox-tech] Formating problem

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:36:31 -0700

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 05:06 am, Walther The Writer wrote:
> I didn't mount floppy. What I did was cp name_of_the_file.txt /dev/fd0
> sould I mount it first?

You can cp a file to /dev/fd0, and it does exactly that.  It
overlays anything already on the disk, which in your case
would be the boot sector, FAT and other parts of the
filesystem.  Pretty cool, but not what you want.  ;-)

So at this point you need to re-format the diskette, and
then either learn about mtools (recommended) or do something
like this:

$ mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
$ cp somefile /mnt/floppy
$ umount /mnt/floppy