[vox-tech] the answer to all my virus problems

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:10:02 -0700

On Sat 20 Sep 03,  9:20 PM, Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> said:

> On 2003.09.20 18:39, Rod Roark wrote:

> >session,
> >it'll
> >So
> >this

> >on the
> >> >

> >> The point being that 3 days of huffing and puffing might end up
> >costing you
> >> more bandwidth than if you just swallow the message :)
> >
> >Well, you get the satisfaction of wasting the sender's
> >bandwidth too.  And for me at least, as a DSL user, incoming
> >bandwidth is cheaper than outgoing.
> >
> >As for the Postfix solution that I actually implemented,
> >it's a bit unclear if the entire message is received, but I
> >suspect it is.  The sender definitely gets closed out with a
> >rejection message, not just a dropped connection.  At least
> >the offending mail is not saved to disk and does not require
> >another pass from procmail or SpamAssassin or whatever.
>
> Umm, please consider the golden rule when sending reject messages.
> Do not unto others as you would not want done unto you.
> This can go two ways though because you might not want your legit
> messages silently dropped. You be the judge.

umm, there must be some kind of confusion here.

these messages aren't silently dropped.  they're rejected.  there's a
big difference...

that's why they're called "reject messages".    :-)

pete