[vox-tech] the answer to all my virus problems

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:42:12 -0700

On Saturday 20 September 2003 09:20 pm, Ken Bloom wrote:

> On 2003.09.20 18:39, Rod Roark wrote:

> > session,
> > it'll
> > So
> > this

> > on the
> > > >

> > > The point being that 3 days of huffing and puffing might end up
> > costing you
> > > more bandwidth than if you just swallow the message :)
> >
> > Well, you get the satisfaction of wasting the sender's
> > bandwidth too.  And for me at least, as a DSL user, incoming
> > bandwidth is cheaper than outgoing.
> >
> > As for the Postfix solution that I actually implemented,
> > it's a bit unclear if the entire message is received, but I
> > suspect it is.  The sender definitely gets closed out with a
> > rejection message, not just a dropped connection.  At least
> > the offending mail is not saved to disk and does not require
> > another pass from procmail or SpamAssassin or whatever.
>
> Umm, please consider the golden rule when sending reject messages.
> Do not unto others as you would not want done unto you.
> This can go two ways though because you might not want your legit
> messages silently dropped. You be the judge.

Rejection means the message is NOT silently dropped.  The
connecting MTA is informed that the message is rejected, and
presumably will notify the sender.  It's similar to what
happens when you send a message to a nonexistent user at
some domain: it's not delivered, and you receive a
notification that usually includes whatever brief message
was returned by the rejecting MTA.

Which, by the way, offers another level of satisfaction.
You get to choose the rejection message.  :-)

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/