[vox-tech] Outlook Question (I know, but please bear with me...)

Jay Strauss vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 23:04:02 -0500

I use Outlook express and like it.  But that aside.

I think there is a setting that can put outlook in the background (sorta),
you get a little mail symbol in your system tray when mail arrives.  Maybe
it's something like that?

Jay
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Crawford" <rscrawford@mossroot.com>
To: <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 10:52 AM
Subject: [vox-tech] Outlook Question (I know, but please bear with me...)

I have a RH8.0 server running at home which pulls mail in from our remote
mail server and then distributes it for me and my wife between our various
accounts.  Now, in addition to my desktop computer which runs Linux, I
also have my WinXP laptop which runs Outlook 2000 (currently this computer
runs that because I cannot make my Palm Tungsten talk happily to my
desktop computer, and because I have not been able to make Debian run well
on that laptop -- still soliciting suggestions on both those issues, by
the way).

While at work, I check my personal e-mail by logging in to my server and
using SquirrelMail.  But recently I've discovered that even when I shut
down Outlook on my XP laptop, there are still Outlook processes running,
even if I kill them with Task Manager.  As a result, when I log in to SM,
messages are marked as read even when I haven't read them though SM
(because Outlook on my laptop has checked my mail -- even when I don't
want it to).

This is just one more reason why I hate MS in general and Outlook in
particular.  I'd love to find a way to run Ximian Evolution on my Windows
laptop, but until then is anyone aware of a way to kill Outlook processes
on my Windows computer once and for all so that it actually shuts all the
way down when I tell it to?  Just assume that I have processes running on
my laptop which makes it inconvenient to shut it down all the way. ;-)

Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

http://www.mossroot.com
AIM: Buffalo2K ICQ: 11646404 Y!: rscrawford
MSN: underpope@hotmail.com
invisible to the eye." --Antoine de Saint Exupéry