[vox-tech] Outlook Question (I know, but please bear with me...)

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:23:06 -0700 (PDT)

Richard Crawford said:
[chop]
> is anyone aware of a way to kill Outlook processes
> on my Windows computer once and for all so that it actually shuts all the
> way down when I tell it to?  Just assume that I have processes running on
> my laptop which makes it inconvenient to shut it down all the way. ;-)
[chop]

Eliminate Outlook Express and only use SM! ;-)

Seriously though, I do not use MSOE, but have used other tools like
MeetingMaker. Just a suggestion here, but can you locate something that
says "signoff" or "logout" within MSOE? Somme applications treat "quit"
different from "Signoff" or "Logout" or "Disconnect from Server"; they
leave processes running so that you do not have to re-authenticate the
next time you start the application or continue to be "helpful" and do
stuff for you even though you do not expect them to.

Next, I would probably look into the preferences for the mail server
connection. See if there are options for telling it to not stay connected
or  options tht can be turned off that suggest it might stay connected,
checking for more mail.

Next, I would look into any filtering rules you may have setup in MSOE
that filter your mail. See if any of these rules permit MSOE to remain
connected to deal with things like filtering, forwarding e-mail,
autoresponding, etc.

For posting a non-Linux question to a Linux tech list, you owe each list
member 12 grams of dryer lint, 3 sniffs of immitation vanilla extract
scent, and a color picture of George Boole, signed by George Boole, with
some writing from him dedicating the picture to LUGOD.

-ME