[vox-tech] screen 'deflogin' on debian testing

Gabriel Rosa vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 01:05:12 -0800

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:46:24AM -0800, Gabriel Rosa wrote:

> I'm running screen on my debian testing box, and I can't seem to get it to
> start up with a login shell. what I get is:
>
> bash-2.05b$  (PS1 is \s-\v\$)
>
> which is what happens even when i have 'deflogin on' in my .screenrc or when i
> run screen explicitly with the '-l' option.
>
> what i want is:
>
> grosa@foo:~$  (PS1 is \u@\h:\w\$)
>
> which is what comes up when i run 'bash --login'
>
> my understanding is that 'bash --login' causes bash to reread all the .files,
> like .bash_profile, .login, etc. have I completely missed the point of what
> screen considers a login shell?  anyone else have this issue?
>
> i 'apt-get remove --purge screen' and 'dselect update && apt-get install screen'
> hoping that there was a new version available, but no cigar.
>
> tia,
> -Gabe

Well, problem solved. I have a 'sid' box and a 'testing' box both running
screen, both sharing a /home/grosa

the 'sid' box runs screen like i want it to, the 'testing' doesn't. turns out
the 'sid' box has an _older_ version of screen installed (must have gotten
held back)

the 'testing' version of screen doesn't seem to run /etc/profile or
/etc/bashrc, whereas the 'sid' version (older) does.

adding it explicitly to .profile seemed to do the trick, although i consider
it an ugly hack. .profile should compliment, not replace /etc/profile.

oh well,
-Gabe, who often posts questions too eagerly, then finds own answer and feels
silly :)