[vox-tech] X-No-Archive Inheritance?

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 05:49:40 -0700

On Fri 17 Oct 03,  8:43 PM, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us> said:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Ryan Castellucci wrote:

> > On Friday 17 October 2003 02:45 pm, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> > > I hesitate to post my 2-cents due to ignorance, but here goes:
> > >
> > > It seems to me that the point of choosing not to archive a message (with
> > > X-No-Archive) is because the message is not worth archiving for some
> > > reason (e.g. one-liner, too silly, etc.).
> > >
> > > Anyone thinking that they can protect personal information by not
> > > archiving a message should think again.  Any message sent to a vox list
> > > is sent to over 100 different person's mailboxes who can do with it what
> > > they will...
> >
> > My concern is that someone could post a question that deals with something
> > illegal (DMCA violations). Archiving this would be bad.
>
> Jonathan's point is that you can't prevent it from being archived when you
> post it to a public mailing list.  You can suggest that it not be, but you
> cannot prevent it from being archived.  Therefore, be careful what you
> say... caveat lector.

i think the mistake is that some people don't realize:

   * is used to protect the list archives from clutter.  examples:
         "i have a hard drive for sale"
         "me too!"

   * is NOT used to protect the poster.  examples:
         "hey, i have a secret"
         "i've got drugs to sell"

to use X-No-Archive to protect yourself is like using a vesectomy to
protect yourself from AIDS.  it's just plain wrong.  when you send
anything to to 300 people, you should be prepared for it to be
accessible to the world.

if you're not prepared for that, you had no business sending the message
in the first place.

pete