[vox-tech] ripping video: wierd interleaving effect on fast motion

Rob Rogers vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:36:00 -0700

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:22:10 -0700, Ken Herron wrote:

> One nice feature of tivo (and replaytv) is that they can be set to
> control an external cable/satellite converter instead of using their
> internal tuner for everything. They come with a little ifrared LED that
> sticks onto the converter's IR port. The tivo/replaytv sets its own
> tuner to channel 4 (or uses a composite video input) and changes
> channels by sending remote-control commands to the converter. This way,
> you can record from scrambled channels and so on.
>
> Do any of the convert-your-PC-into-a-tivo products have anything like
> this?

MythTV does support this via an "IR Blaster"...an IR transmitter that
connects generally via a serial port. Any blaster device supported by the
lirc driver will work. I've even seen schematics with RadioShack part
numbers included that you can put together for a few bucks.

Some cable/satellite systems also have some sort of data port on the back
of the unit, often RJ-11, but also commonly as a 9pin serial port. The
unit can be controlled via this port also (well, most units anyways. The
protocol varies depending on manufacturer) and more reliably than via IR.

I used MythTV pretty heavily for a while, but I currently don't have a
card with TV-Out, so it became more trouble than it was worth. Watching on
a 17" monitor in the computer room isn't nearly as comfortable as watching
a 32" from the couch. :) I haven't used it since July (around the 0.10
release) but it was pretty rock solid back then, and it looks like a lot
of new features have been added since then. Development is quite fast
paced. I was using CVS and rebuilding at least a couple times a week to
get the new features.