[vox-tech] ripping video: wierd interleaving effect on fast motion

Ryan Castellucci vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:53:23 -0700

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 02:17 pm, p@dirac.org wrote:
> hi all,
>
> ok, i ripped a southpark video with:
>
>    System: AMD Athlon 1.3GHz
>            2.4.22 w/ low latency
>            Radeon QD
>            very unloaded machine
>
>    name:         southpark1.avi
>    ripper:       xawtv -noxv
>    audio format: 8bit mono
>    sample rate:  44100
>    video format: 24bit TrueColor (LE: bgr)
>    fps:          30
>    video size:   384x288
>

> the next step is to compress/encode it.
>
> however, i first tried to watch the avi with mplayer.  the quality was
> bad.  whenever there was fast motion, it looked like the areas with fas=
> motion had white horizontal lines interleaved with the normal video.
>
> mplayer gave output which looks like it's related to this problem:
>
>    badly interleaved AVI file.  switching to -ni mode.

This refers to audio/video interleave, not interlacing.

> i'm not sure what to do.  i don't think it's a matter of my system not
> being powerful enough.  i did tests at low fps of a few seconds of
> video, and got the same "interleaved" effect.  it was actually worse at
> lower fps.
>
> and there really aren't that many options with xawtv.  i've played with
> fps, sample rate, and video format.  nothing seems to help.
>
> in xawtv, there are options to save as "single file raw video" and
> "apple quicktime" format.  i take it these are container formats that
> sam was talking about.
>
> any suggestions?

try passing mplayer '-vop pp=3Dfd' This uses the FFMpeg Deinterlacer. You=
r=20
machine should have no problem doing this in real time.

If it doesn't work, it's because the video was scaled without being=20
deinterlaced, and you can't really get rid of it.

Also, have you tried recording video with nupplevideo yet? (I mentioned i=
t,=20
along with some options to use with mencoder in another post)

It should be able to handle 640x480 captures at full framerate.

- --=20
On pgp.mit.edu, import with `gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 72177=
BC7`