[vox-tech] looking for a decent < 20GB HD

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 11:40:40 -0700

On Sunday 05 October 2003 11:43 am, dylan wrote:
> hi --
>
> I am currently looking for new ( < 20GB ) IDE drive for a small scale linux
> server that we are setting up. realistically, we don't event need 5Gb of
> space, however it would be nice to have a little breathing room for future
> expansion.
>
> I have heard numerous *not so great* things about a lot of the new high
> density drives (> 40Gb) such as a 1 yr warranty, and tendency to die
> unexpectedly.
>
> any input would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a reference to problems with newer drives?  My
general impression is that they just keep getting better and
cheaper.  If you get a current name brand 5400 RPM unit you
should get plenty of life out of it.  Better yet, get two so
you can easily back up to the extra one.

That said, I have an 8GB Fujitsu MPD3084AT manufactured in
1999.  Send me a customer and it's yours.  ;-)

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/