[vox-tech] Red Hat 9 doesn't recognize a SMB printer - help to a Linux novice

Mark Street vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:32:45 -0800

This may or may not be Red Hat's problem.  First we need to see if the prin=
ter=20
is being shared over the network.

=46rom a terminal run the RH box with samba-client package installed;

smbclient -L IP-ADDRESS-OF-XP-SERVER
you shouldn't have to provide a password...just hit enter when prompted

This query will give you a listing of the shares available on that server. =
=20
Does the printer exist in the share listing?  If not then the problem is th=
e=20
config of the XP server sharing the printer.

Red Hat 9 uses CUPS print sever by default.  To add network printers to the=
 RH=20
box you need to add one through the CUPS admin interface.

=46rom a root prompt;

service cups status      =20
to make sure cups is running, if not run    service cups start

Now login to the admin interface from a web browser.  Fire up a browser and=
=20
enter the following URL;

http://localhost:631/

Pick 'Administration', login with the root login and password when prompted.

Pick Printers, add printer, Give it a name, location and description.  Then=
=20
pick the device type on the next screen, at the bottom you will find a=20
Windows via Samba printer.

Enter in the device URI like - smb://192.168.1.5/HP1100
Whatever name you gave the printer on the XP machine.

Pick the driver for the make and model.

Save and Done.  Now test it by printing a test page.

On Friday 21 November 2003 18:26, Roy Wollman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately I work under a Windows XP-pro network.
> I'm trying to add to my Red Hat 9 a SMB printer.
> The "Add a new printer" doesn't recognize the printer
> The server that the printer sits on is recognized but the printer does
> not.
>
> when I try to add it manually through specify menu I can't do it as well
> the menu keep popping on...
>
> Please help - I need to print thing.....
> I looked all other the net and didn't find any good advice

=2D-=20
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Cert# 807302251406074
=2D-
Key fingerprint =3D 3949 39E4 6317 7C3C 023E  2B1F 6FB3 06E7 D109 56C0
GPG key http://www.streetchiro.com/pubkey.asc