[vox-tech] Red Hat 9 doesn't recognize a SMB printer - help to a Linux novice

David Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 02:30:28 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

> I've had little to no success using a SMB networked printers.
> Fortunately, the networked printers I use on campus are also networked
> as HP jet-direct printers.

apsfilter is VERY good at helping one set up an SMB printer, but:
1. I don't know if RH9 uses cups or some other different-than-lpr setup,
in which case trying to install/use apsfilter could be bad
2. apsfilter accepts your NT (SMB) username and password as clear text and
I don't know where it puts them, or how it stores them there.