[vox-tech] winex (Was Re: dual booting with win2k woes)

Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:11:36 -0800

On Fri 21 Nov 03,  1:55 PM, Bryan Richter <btrichter@ucdavis.edu> said:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:01:58AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > hi bryan,
> >
> > DOS programs generally don't work on wine.  so if you're talking about
> > really old ones like redneck rampage, you need to use DOSEMU.
> >
> > if you're talking about win32 stuff, what games?  most of the older
> > stuff works really well on winex.
> >
> > and note the "x" at the end of "winex".   wine is not winex.  and winex
> > is not wine.
> >
> > winex:
> >    you must pay for it.  works out to be $5/month
> >    specifically for games
> >
> > wine:
> >    free
> >    not too good with games.  useless for direct-x stuff.
> >
> > note that i've been told that DOSEMU can run some win32 apps (by DOSEMU
> > developers), and wine/winex can run a few DOS apps (by wine developers).
> > but i have yet to see an example for myself.  ;)
> >
> > pete
> >
> Pete,
> I do indeed have winex. The game in question is Longbow 2, which came
> out around 1997. It wants DirectX 5ish, I think. Transgaming doesn't
> even have a support page for Longbow 2, although they do have one for
> Jane's i686, the submarine sim that came out directly after Longbow 2
> (or thereabouts). Although they aren't supporting it yet, the one
> comment a user had was that the game's installer complains about being
> unable to access the CD, then dies. I experienced the same thing with
> Longbow 2. To me, that almost sounds like something that might just
> require a little config tweaking, but like I said, I'm not good with
> wine/winex.

there's something called Point2Play which is a graphical interface
wrapper around winex.  to install it:

1. download it from transgaming.com
2. uninstall winex (that's not a typo)
3. install Point2Play
4. run Point2Play
5. put your transgaming account in the textbox
6. click the "install winex" button
7. go through the 4 tests

a well designed graphical interface is often simpler to work with.

> Thanks for reminding me about dosemu. Another program I was wanting
> to run was Thrustmaster C&CC, the utility used for programming TM
> joysticks and throttles. It's a DOS program.
> (apt-get install... attempt to run...)
> Ok, what does "Sorry, there is no operating system. Have a nice day!"
> mean? Hahaha so much to learn.

oh, you mean for dosemu?  dosemu can be a bitch to install.  it was even
harder last year when you had to install all kinds of patches to get
games and sound working.  it was nuts.

pete

--
"Nobody steals our chicks.  And lives." -- Duke Nukem (played on Linux)